Thursday, August 23, 2012


CSA for Week of August 20th:
1 Eggplant
2 Heirloom Tomatoes
2 HG's Tomatoes
1 pint of Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
1 Candy Onion
1 Red Onion
1 1/2 lbs of Potatoes
2lbs. of Squash
1 Green Pepper 6 Ears of Corn
2 Sunflowers or 1 bunch of Zinnias


Many thanks once again to Vanessa Lauria

Recipe by Vanessa Lauria

This weekend was delightfully cool. Great sleeping weather and a nice breeze. The moment the weather starts to remind me of fall, I break out this dish (even though it is still August).  Colcannon is basically mashed potatoes and cabbage- but somehow it is so much better than that description :) Colcannon is pretty cheap to make, is warm and totally comforting and goes well with a variety of other dishes. I always try to have some kind of green, depending on the season and what's in my CSA share. Green beans sauteed with garlic, a squeeze of lemon and some slivered almonds would be delicious. A quick saute of zucchini and red onion? Yum. A tomato salad with basil and fresh corn? Now we're talking!

Ingredients:
2.5-3 lbs potatoes (I really don't measure- cut enough potatoes into big chunks (skins on) to cover the bottom of a big pot- maybe 6-8 big potatoes) (part of this week's CSA)
2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 a green cabbage or 1.5 pounds of kale, finely chopped
1 broccoli, super-chopped (I mean baby florets)
lots of garlic, minced to taste (available at SIW)

1 cup chopped leeks (this time of year I'm using up frozen leeks from last fall)
1 cup evaporated milk (or half and half for more decadence) (or plain yogurt available at SIW)
1-2 Tbls chopped parsley (available at SIW)
1/2 tsp pepper

Cover the potatoes and 1 tsp salt with water (by 2 inches) and boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Once the potatoes are on, I chop the cabbage and add that so they all cook together.

While the potatoes and cabbage cook, in a small sauce pan, combine the milk, garlic, leeks and parsley. Heat on medium for 10 min or so (I do this until my frozen leeks are defrosted and cooked. This will probably finish before the potatoes are done- so just turn off the heat and let sit.

At the end of the potato cooking time, throw in the broccoli (they only need a minute or so in the boiling water).

Drain the veggies and return to pot. Add the milk mix, 1 tsp (or more to taste) salt, the pepper and some plops of butter. I mash it all together with my immersion blender, but mash however you choose (a potato ricer works okay- but you have to scrape it frequently b/c of all the potato skins and cabbage bits). That's it!

I always mean to add lots of cheese and bake this in a casserole, but forget to. Leftovers are great for breakfast on a skillet (I think this is called bubble and squeak).

No comments:

Post a Comment