Saturday, October 26, 2013

Easy Potato Leek Soup

I added some snips of chives to make it pretty :)

I think I may be catching a cold. This weather change is messing with everything! Except for instant cravings for warm, satisfying comfort food... mmmm. On a whim, I decided to make potato leek soup and looked to my trusty How to Cook Everything cookbook for the basics. You cannot get more simple than this recipe! A few cobs of the last of SIW corn thrown in plus homemade cornbread= damn tasty if I do say so myself.


Mark suggests adding some cream or a little sour cream to pep it up. You can also serve it cold with added cream for that famous soup with the name I love to recite. I blended half with an immersion blender to add some natural creaminess. Voila! 

Potato Leek Soup

recipe by Mark Bittman

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 medium potatoes, any type, peeled and cut into small cubes
  • 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed and thinly sliced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock or water (I used veggie)
  • (I also added corn cut from 2 cobs, about 1.5 cups)

Directions

  • Put the butter or oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. When the butter melts or the oil is hot, add the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 or 3 minutes.
  • Add the stock, adjust the heat so it gently bubbles, and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes. (At this point, you may refrigerate the soup, covered, for up to 2 days; reheat before proceeding.) Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment